Saturday, August 9, 2014

DIY Notebook from a Cereal Box


This is probably the first recycling DIY I ever did.  It was super fun and took about two hours with a lot of run ins into problems. I got the idea from Creme de la Craft, but as a first-timer who has never sewed or done much crafting, the blog's instructions doesn't help much.  You can go read them, but I will list below a set of supplies, simplified instructions, and some tips from my experience.


Supplies:
  • Cereal boxes--each one makes two
  • Printer paper or graph paper--I wouldn't use lined paper because you need to place the paper landscape, making the lines vertical
  • Scissors
  • Rulers
  • Pens/Pencils
  • Buttons
  • Chenille needles--I had trouble sewing the paper and threading the floss with a regular needle; chenille needles are very pointy and have large eyes
  • Embroidery Floss

Steps:
  1. Open up the cereal box
  2. Cut out one side of the cereal box
  3. Fold it in half hamburger style with the blank side is facing out
  4. Measure out a 5’’x7’’ rectangle with your ruler and cut it out
  5. Cut out 25'' of embroidery floss and sew a button onto your cover
  6. Take 5 sheets of paper
  7. Measure out a 9’’x6’’ rectangle on one sheets of paper
  8. Line up the other 4 sheets with the first one and cut out the rectangle
  9. Fold your sheets in half
  10. Line up the creases of the paper with the crease of your notebook
  11. Take 15 inches of embroidery floss and sew your papers onto your notebook
  12. Make stitches 1 inch long--Since the paper is hard to sew, longer stitches means less struggling to poke holes

Tips
  • I used 10 sheets of paper even though the instructions called for 20, and it was already pretty hard to sew.  Although, I think the chenille needles would help a lot.
  • I didn't glue a sheet of white paper to the inside because the paper had wrinkles from the glue, forcing me to start over.  I couldn't find a glue stick so I used regular glue.  However, I think glue sticks wouldn't create the wrinkles, but just wouldn't glue down the paper as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 8: The Final Grind Begins

Today honestly did not feel like a Friday because I didn't have cohort. In other exciting news, it was the last day of my Global Asia re...