Thursday, March 10, 2016

Say Yes

“Say yes, and you’ll figure it out afterwards.”
Tina Fey
Yes--one small word chock full of meaning to convey confirmation and commitment.  
Last year, my Key Club adviser asked me, as Community Chair, to organize a prom for the Forteniter's Club.  Of course I was slightly hesitant at first.  I had a whole bunch of questions running though my mind about the process.  I had never done anything this big. And the doubts started growing, but somehow, my mouth, disconnected from my mind,  blurted out the word yes.  All of a sudden, my worries just disseminated.  I said yes, and I was going to do it.
At first, I felt like I had lot on my plate because the prom was a few months away and all the tasks seemed to be jumbled together into a huge menacing one.  I tried to figure out ways to tackle it, and decided to break it down into smaller pieces.  I created categories for what needed to get accomplished: food, decorations, music, photo booth, and party favors. I sets deadlines and created a budget.  Every week, Key Clubbers that were interested in planning this prom would come meet to discuss ideas.  Little by little, the planning process came together all by itself.   
The end result was a wonderful rush.  The church was decorated with Hollywood-themed decorations--red and gold streamers, balloons, tablecloths, and flowers.  Key Clubbers dressed up as waiters and waitresses to serve food. The DJ was up on the stage mixing away his music.  The Polaroid photo booth with cute hand-made props was up and running. And best of all, everyone that came was left happy, full, and with a party favor full of candy.  All it took was for me to say yes.
There will be situations where you won't feel ready for.  When we are asked to do something outside out comfort zone, we immediately think of all the obstacles in our path. But, sometimes, you just need to take a step back, and just put yourself out there. Trust that you have all the abilities to make it work.  Trust that it will eventually come together.  Trust that you will figure it out.
Say yes--just one simple word--and may it change you for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 8: The Final Grind Begins

Today honestly did not feel like a Friday because I didn't have cohort. In other exciting news, it was the last day of my Global Asia re...