Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Thought to Ponder On

A blank word nagged at me for the past few days ever since I started going to the gym.  I knew I learned it in Bio; we were learning about hormones, and I thought, so this hormone is the reason why people must love sports or feel so great afterwards.  (Plus, I remember it being the last bullet on the page.)  I even had a pretty good definition of it: a hormone released during exercise which reduces stress.  It's a pretty great hormone, so I really wanted to know its name.  It was bugging me forever, and I thought I could remember it, but today, I had to resort to my trusty buddy, the Internet.  So, I typed in my definition, and the name I've been searching for instantly popped up: endorphins.  What? That was totally not what I had in mind.  I mean, I knew it started with an e, but that's probably because I kept on thinking of epinephrine, another hormone that most likely created my mind block.

After reading about endorphins on WedMD, I summarized that exercising is super healthy, and it's not all due to keeping people physically fit.  The website does talk about that, but what I want to focus on is how exercising releases these hormones that can also keep you mentally fit.  According to WedMD, endorphins 'reduce stress, ward off anxiety and feelings of depression, boost self-esteem, and improve sleep'.

And by the way, since these are my thoughts, does anyone else see how endorphin resembles the word dolphin?  Just curious.


Endorphin

Dolphin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 8: The Final Grind Begins

Today honestly did not feel like a Friday because I didn't have cohort. In other exciting news, it was the last day of my Global Asia re...